Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Mini Raspberry Heart Cakes


Have you ever tasted a chocolate cake and had an irresistible urge to gobble down the whole thing?
I have.
And it's this cake right here.
And you can't even go for the rest of the cake because it is "portion controlled".
Hmm.. I say this cake is good for your waistline.

It's incredibly moist and soft, it practically melts in your mouth. I actually made this for my mom, who recently had a dental surgery, so that she could enjoy her food without having to bite into it too hard.
Of course, she enjoyed it too, but she said that the doctor told her to avoid sweet stuff.
Oops...I forgot about that. Silly me:)
So I ended up eating the whole batch with my dad!

I got this recipe from the Hershey's website, which has the most amazing chocolate cake photos EVER. Once I start looking at all the chocolatey treats, I sit in front of my computer drooling at them for at least 3 hours. I had a very hard time choosing which one to make, so I chose one that didn't yield a lot of servings. Just to experiment. This one was a recipe for two, but I doubled it and made four lovely mini chocolate cakes:)



Chocolate Sweetheart Cakes for Two

Recipe from HERSHEY'S 
Ingredients:

For the Cake:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

For the Chocolate Frosting:
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
2/3 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
2 to 3 teaspoons milk
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract

Garnish:
4 raspberries
Fresh mint leaves
Caramel syrup (optional - I used smucker's sugar free caramel syrup)

Directions:
Heat oven to 350F. Grease and flour a 8-inch square baking pan.
Stir together flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Add water, oil, vanilla, and vinegar; beat with spoon or whisk until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely. Transfer to cutting board. Using a 3-1/4-inch heart shaped cookie cutter, cut cake into 4 hearts. Spread chocolate frosting on top of two hearts. Press remaining hearts on top. Drizzle with caramel syrup, if desired, then garnish with raspberries and mint leaves.

For the Chocolate Frosting: Place butter in a small microwave safe bowl. Microwave at medium (50%) 20 seconds or until butter is melted. Stir together powdered sugar and cocoa; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beating with spoon or whisk until smooth. Stir in vanilla. Makes about 1/3 cup frosting.



No comments:

Post a Comment